Outgoing commissioner gets a fitting send-off
Commissioner Dan Holub received a hilarious send-off at his final meeting Tuesday.
Holub wanted nothing done for his departure, so clerk Tina Spencer kept him in the dark until she brought in a gift bag at the end of the meeting. Surrounded by several county employees, Holub laughed heartily as he read the tags explaining each gift:
- Plastic dog poop was to remind him of what he’s had to put up with over the past 12 years.
- Rockets were to help him blast off to a new direction.
- A calendar was to plan a vacation.
- A fake cigar was to enjoy with scotch and water next to a campfire.
- Dominoes were to take to senior coffee meetings.
- A raincoat came with a tag that said he could wear it in or out of the shower.
- A metal sculpture of a windmill scene was hidden in the bottom of the gift bag.
Holub’s replacement, Dianne Novak, will be sworn in at 8:30 a.m. Jan. 9 in the county commission room of the courthouse.
Reorganization of the commission, including appointment of a commission chair, also will be part of the meeting. A reception will follow.