No snow days this year will be a bonus for students of Marion-Florence USD 408.
School board members voted to move the last day of school forward. Instead of holding classes until noon on May 24, the final day of classes will be May 19.
School board members also discussed criteria for memorials, ultimately deciding not to change anything. The discussion was prompted by a request to create a memorial for a former teacher.
In January, former students of Marion native Maurine Hawbecker Sloan Graham, began working to establish a memorial in honor of the former music teacher.
“We thought we might be able to do something for the high school music department,” Forrest Kelsey, president of the class of 1948, said.
“Once that’s started, there has to be some criteria,” superintendant Lee Leiker told school board members.
“My suggestion is, they stick with the scholarship and nothing else,” board member Jan Helmer said.
In other matters, board members:
- Heard an update on an increase in health insurance rates;
- Granted a request to use the elementary building for Vacation Bible School June 5-9;
- Increased the hourly pay rate for drivers education instructors;
- Reviewed state assessment results;
- Approved a memorandum of understanding with law enforcement as required by state law; and
- Held executive sessions to discuss personnel and negotiations.