• Last modified 772 days ago (June 7, 2017)


Scuffle after Chingawassa leads to 2nd round of drug charges

A post-Chingawassa scuffle between a police officer and a passenger of a truck that hit a car parked on Main St. near Marion High School resulted in a 29-year-old Council Grove man’s second drug-related arrest in two weeks.

While interviewing witnesses about the accident at 11:47 p.m. Saturday, Sergeant Michael Stone suspected that the passenger, Jonathan Mangold, was under the influence of drugs, according to assistant chief Clinton Jeffrey.

After Stone patted Mangold down, Jeffrey said, the two struggled over items located in the pat down.

Mangold was subdued, taken to St. Luke Hospital, and checked medically before being jailed on suspicion of possessing methamphetamine, marijuana and drug paraphernalia, battery of a law enforcement officer, and interference with law enforcement.

It was Mangold’s second drug-related arrest by Stone in two weeks.

On May 21, Stone pulled Mangold over near Central Park because his vehicle allegedly had no light on its license plate.

After Stone observed an open container of alcohol inside the vehicle, Jeffrey said, four morphine pills, a marijuana bong, and marijuana were found.

Mangold was arrested that time on suspicion of possessing a controlled substance, drug paraphernalia, and marijuana; driving while his license was suspended; and transporting an open container of alcohol, in addition to having no tag light.

Three others in the vehicle at the time also were arrested. One of them, Parker Thompson, 20, Wichita,  allegedly attempted to flee in handcuffs when he arrived at jail.

Thompson was still in jail for Chingawassa Days but Mangold apparently had been released on bond.

Police had a second scare at the conclusion of the Charlie Daniels Band concert Saturday night at Chingawassa Days.

A 5-year-old boy was reported missing, and a large number of officers and other emergency workers immediately started to search for him.

According to Jeffrey, the boy was located within seven minutes near the front gate and returned to his grandmother. Their names were not released.

Last modified June 7, 2017