• Last modified 1226 days ago (Feb. 11, 2021)


Seniors can get help with utility bills, taxes

Seniors looking for help filing income tax forms, claiming tax rebates for COVID-19 stimulus payments that did not arrive, filing for Homestead refunds, and applying for utility assistance can make an appointment with Marion County Department on Aging.

“We will not be doing in-person appointments for assistance this year,” director Gayla Ratzlaff said. “We will do Homestead and Low Income Energy Assistance Program applications over the phone.”

LIEAP applications are due March 31.

The agency has begun doing state and federal tax returns for people whose incomes are below $60,000.

Seniors who need help may call and set up an appointment to drop off tax information. Photo identification should be brought to the appointment.

“If you have not received your second economic stimulus check, you may need to file a federal return,” Ratzlaff said. “We ask you wait to see if you receive this check or a debit card by the end of February.

“If not, we will be glad to file a return for you. To make an appointment to drop off your taxes, call (620) 382-3580.”

People who did not receive the full amounts of stimulus checks, $1,200 and $600, are able to claim a recovery rebate credit on their 2020 tax returns.

To claim the credit, a filer must be a citizen or resident alien who can’t be claimed as someone else’s dependant.

Even if someone is not ordinarily required to file an income tax return, it is necessary to do so to get the economic recovery credit.

The tax credit will increase the amount of a refund or decrease the amount of the tax owed.

Last modified Feb. 11, 2021