Staff photo by Mindy Kepfield
Miss Etta Mae, a 3-year-old miniature Australian shepherd was grand champion of the Peabody American Legions’s virtual dog show Saturday at the city’s fall festival.
Top of the pups
Miss Etta Mae wouldn’t sit still for her official portrait and only sniffed her grand champion trophy, but the 3-year-old mini Australian Shepherd showed spirit that won hearts Saturday as she nuzzled owner Janie Hampton.
“She’s a great dog,” Hampton said as the pup frolicked and licked her hand. “She also won the prize for best kisser.”
The competition, sponsored by Peabody’s American Legion, is usually a highlight of Fourth of July celebrations at the park, said Patsy Torres-Milton.
This year 21 proud pup owners sent videos and pictures and collected votes.
Other winners included:
- Biggest: Nikki, 95 pounds. Ryan Turner, owner.
- Smallest: Kiki and Gabi, 4 pounds. Kim Conquest, owner.
- Best dressed: Phu Phu. Cheryl Rosine, owner.
- Most patriotic: Whiskey. Ben Welch, owner.
- Best scarecrow: Shelby. Ginger Whitney, owner.
- Best groomed: Capriccio. Julie Ensminger, owner.
- Oldest dog: Yankee, 18 years old. Annette South, owner.
- Youngest dog: Akela, year old. Travis Foth, owner.
- Best kiss: Etta Mae. Janie Hampton, owner.
- Waggiest tail: Newt. Annette South, owner.
- Best trick: Stan. Winter Family, owners.
- Lovin’ Grandma: Johnny and Ryan. Dianna Woodruff, owner.