Broadcasts about these fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper:
9:03 a.m. — A 28-year-old woman, possibly a COVID-19 sufferer, passing out in the 700 block of W. Potter St. in Peabody was taken to NMC Health, formerly Newton Medical Center, by Hillsboro ambulance. The county ambulance director and a first responder aboard Peabody ambulance also answered the call. The ambulance returned to Hillsboro at 10:49 p.m.
1:29 p.m. — A slow-moving grass fire near an oil well at Timber and 60th Rds. was extinguished within 1½ hours by Peabody firefighters. A first responder aboard Peabody ambulance also was dispatched.
1:45 a.m. — A diabetic 74-year-old woman losing consciousness after suffering a suspected seizure at a residence in the 200 block of W. 2nd St. in Peabody was taken to NMC Health by Hillsboro ambulance. The ambulance returned to Hillsboro at 3:53 p.m.
1:48 p.m. — A 52-year-old woman who fell and hurt her knee at a house near 250th and Unicorn Rd. was taken to St. Luke Hospital, Marion, by Marion ambulance. Lincolnville first responders also answered the call.
10:15 p.m. — A disoriented man parked in a pickup truck in the middle of US-50 in front of Dollar General in Peabody was evaluated by Peabody ambulance attendants but declined to be taken to a hospital.
1:25 a.m. — A 63-year-old man with sepsis was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance from Hillsboro Community Hospital to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita. The ambulance returned to Hillsboro at 3:52 a.m.
2:33 p.m. — A nauseated 60-year-old woman in the 500 block of S. Cedar St. in Marion was taken to NMC Health by Marion ambulance. The ambulance returned to Marion at 4:47 p.m.
4:07 p.m. — Burns firefighters assisted with an out-of-county fire call for two hours.
11:19 a.m. — A false alarm caused by a water leak above a smoke detector sent Hillsboro firefighters to the 100 block of S. Date St. in Hillsboro.
2:24 p.m. — An 87-year-old woman with cardiac issues was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance from HCH to Kansas Heart Hospital, Wichita.
12:28 a.m. — A 57-year-old man bleeding after recent nose surgery was taken by Hillsboro ambulance from Oakwood Manor Apartments to HCH.
2:43 a.m. — A 56-year-old woman experiencing sudden weakness and stomach pain, possibly from ulcers, in the 700 block of N. Vine St. in Peabody was taken to NMC Health by Hillsboro ambulance. A first responder aboard Peabody ambulance also was dispatched.
5:05 p.m. — An unattended fire in the 200 block of N. Olive St. in Peabody was determined by Peabody firefighters to be a lawful controlled burn.
5:35 p.m. — A 68-year-old woman with a headache at a farmhouse near K-15 and 300th Rd. was taken to HCH by Tampa ambulance.
9:49 a.m. — A 91-year-old man with breathing difficulties was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance from Bethesda Home in Goessel to NMC Health. The ambulance returned to Hillsboro at 11:39 a.m.
11:42 a.m. — Hillsboro and Peabody ambulances were dispatched to a report of an unconscious man on the ground outside “Brown Corby Apartments in Peabody.” At a sheriff’s deputy’s urging, the call was changed to Marion ambulance, and the correct address for Bown-Corby Apartments was supplied. However, ambulance attendants still were confused, asking whether it was “a large, red brick building with multiple doors.” Attendants requested help from police, but Marion had no officers on duty, and the nearest sheriff’s deputy was in Peabody. The man apparently had been intoxicated, passed out, came to, went back inside an apartment, was warned that he might be arrested if he came out, and declined to be taken to a hospital.
3:44 p.m. — An 89-year-old woman not feeling well in the 100 block of N. Adams St. asked for Hillsboro ambulance to take her to HCH.
6:46 p.m. — Presumably the same patient, suffering from kidney failure and dehydration, was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance from HCH to Kansas Heart. The ambulance returned to Hillsboro at 9:17 p.m.
4:16 p.m. — A smoking washing machine in a dorm at Tabor College was disconnected by Hillsboro firefighters, and Tabor College maintenance workers were notified.
5:16 p.m. — A grass fire at US-50 and Quail Creek Rd. was extinguished within half an hour by Peabody firefighters.
5:59 p.m. — An 84-year-old woman who fell and was lying on the ground at a residence in the 100 block of S. Floral Dr. in Hillsboro was helped up by Hillsboro ambulance attendants. She declined to be taken to a hospital.
7:12 p.m. — At a police officer’s request, Peabody ambulance was sent to the 100 block of S. Olive St. in Peabody to perform a mental evaluation on a man in his 40s who was returned to his residence after being found lying on the ground at the city dump. The man declined to be taken to a hospital.
12:26 p.m. — A 51-year-old woman who fell and broke her leg at a farmhouse near 300th and Pawnee Rd. was taken to by Tampa ambulance to Durham, then transferred to Wesley. A member of the Hillsboro ambulance crew joined the Tampa EMTs in Durham. Lincolnville first responders were paged but did not answer.
3:50 p.m. — Goessel firefighters were dispatched to what turned out to be a controlled burn of a corn stubble field at Cherokee and 28th Aves. In McPherson County.
9:52 p.m. — A 26-year-old complaining of a migraine at Country Inn Motel in Marion was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance.
Last modified Aug. 31, 2023