Top 4A opponents challenge wrestlers
Losing championship decisions to ranked wrestlers from much larger schools, Hillsboro seniors Tristan Rathbone and Garrett Helmer placed second individually Saturday, leading the Trojans to seventh overall in the McMillin Invitational wrestling tournament in Herington.
After winning by falls in his first three matches and by a major decision in his fourth, Rathbone lost a 9-7 decision in his final match in the 170-pound division to Brett Loader of Clay Center, ranked second in the state in Class 4A.
Helmer defeated his first four opponents by falls before losing a 9-5 decision in the 152-pound division to Justin Wisner-McLane of Chapman, ranked fifth in the state in Class 4A.
“These were both the type of quality matches and challenges we hope to see our wrestlers get now, as it will help prepare them for the post-season,” coach Scott O’Hare said.
Other Hillsboro wrestlers placing included:
- Lane Rogers, 5th, 182 pounds.
- Deon Weeks, 5th, 220 pounds.
- Logan Rogers, 6th, 195 pounds.
- Aidan Simmons, 6th, 113 pounds.
- David Schafer, 7th, 160 pounds.
- Angus Duell, 8th, 285 pounds.
Marion finished 17th among 18 schools at the invitational. Wrestlers placing included:
- Chance Shults, 3rd, 132 pounds.
- Brian Nguyen, 8th, 182 pounds.
- Kelen Waner, 9th, 113 pounds.
- Kayden Nelson, 9th, 220 pounds.
- Jackson Bitonti, 10th, 285 pounds.